13-year-old girl suffers severe burns while imitating TikTok video at home
- The incident took place at a home in Oregon on May 13
- The girl was rushed to a nearby hospital where she is receiving treatment for her burns
- "Because of the burns she's going to have limited mobility," her sister said
A 13-year-old girl in Oregon is in the hospital with third-degree burns that she suffered from while imitating a TikTok video, her family said on Saturday. The incident took place on May 13.
The teen, identified as Destini Crane, was attempting to copy a video in which a person is seen using flammable liquid on a mirror to draw a shape before lighting it on fire. To imitate the same, Crane took a candle, lighter, and rubbing alcohol into the bathroom. Moments later, her mother heard her screams and rushed to the bathroom, where she found the teen on fire.
“I was in the living room talking with my mom, and I heard her scream my name. So I went and opened the bathroom door and everything was on fire. Destini was on fire. Things in the bathroom were on fire," her mother, Kimberly Crane, told ABC News.
The girl was rushed to a nearby hospital where she is receiving treatment for her burns.
"Because of the burns she's going to have limited mobility. That is just going to be a lifelong thing, of her doing physical therapy to keep her mobility," the teen's sister told the outlet.
The family said they are sharing this story to help prevent such an incident from happening to someone else.
"It's really important to be present with your children, because we can monitor them, we have parental controls, we can do all that all we want, but things slip through. And so it's really important to be present with your children and have that transparency of, 'Hey what are you into what? What are you doing right now?'" her sister said.