The Ashes series, which is scheduled to begin on December 8, in Australia is in jeopardy. England cricket officials will announce the final decision later this week. The tour is in jeopardy due to the several restrictions that have been put in place in Australia to fight the pandemic.

Also Read - Happy Birthday Rishabh Pant: 3 inimitable records of the wicketkeeper-batter

Cricket Australia sat for a long video conference on Sunday which briefed the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) officials on the expectations during the tour.

It will consist of five tests, which has been the Ashes norm for several years and span across a duration of eleven weeks.

On Monday the England and Wales Cricket Board said, “We will continue talking to our players this week to share the latest information and seek feedback,”

Also Read - IPL 2021: DRS call in RCB vs PBKS match leads to uproar on social media

They added, “Later this week the ECB Board will meet to decide whether the conditions in place are sufficient for the Tour to go ahead and enable the selection of a squad befitting a series of this significance.”

Several England cricketers have expressed apprehensions to the strict Australian guidelines. The players wish for their families to accompany them for the long tour which would help lessen their mental stress.

Also Read - IPL 2021: Its understudy vs mentor as Rishabh Pant faces MS Dhoni

However, the Australian government is strongly opposed to the demand due to the country’s stringent travel guidelines.

Several England players are already ruled out of the series including Moeen Ali who retired from Test cricket, Jofra Archer who is suffering from an elbow injury and Ben Stokes who is on an indefinite break from cricket due to mental health reasons.

While the ECB has ensured that there is positive dialogue with the Australians, it has not stopped the English players from citing their displeasure about the restrictions publicly.

Also Read - IPL 2021: How Shakib’s rocket throw ended Kane Williamson’s innings against KKR

The ECB’s statement included, "Over the weekend we have been talking to England men's players and management to provide them with the latest information about the proposed arrangements for this winter's scheduled Ashes tour," 

Last week England captain Joe Root said he was desperate to partake in the tour however he refused to commit being a part of the squad.

Meanwhile Jos Buttler has declared that he would not travel to Australia without his family.