China school locks down students until COVID results over one positive case
- A staff member tested positive for coronavirus at a primary school in China
- The school was locked down and the principal told waiting parents children would be released next day
- China has imposed strict COVID-19 restrictions over small outbreaks
A primary school in China was locked down for hours after a staff member tested positive for coronavirus. Dozens of students had to wait in the school overnight until their results came out and 35 were eventually taken away into quarantine, local media reported. A large group of parents, who had gathered outside the school, were asked to pack clothes for the children aged seven to 12 years. According to local site Jimu News, the school principal emerged around 23:30 local time and told waiting parents that the children would be released the next day. All teachers, students and staff members at the school were tested for the virus.
China's COVID-19 restrictions against small outbreaks have been described as the strictest across the world since the beginning of the pandemic even as 76% of the population has been fully vaccinated.
On October 26, China locked down several cities in the wake of an outbreak of 29 new infections, including six cases in Lanzhou, the provincial capital of the northwestern Gansu province. Nearly four million people were ordered to stay at home except in case of emergencies.
Authorities also cancelled a marathon in which nearly 30,000 runners were expected to participate. The outbreak was linked to a group of domestic tourists, and prompted authorities to ban access to tourist sites in Beijing which reported three cases. Residents were also asked to not leave the city unless necessary.
China is also among the handful of countries to have started vaccinating children as young as three against coronavirus.
Local city and provincial level governments in at least five Chinese provinces last month issued notices mandating vaccination for children ages 3 to 11.
China has previously expressed concern about the pandemic posing the "biggest challenge" to preparations for the Winter Olympics due to be held in February next year.