Congress parliamentary group to meet today ahead of winter session of parliament
- Winter Session of the Parliament will start on November 29
- Congress is likely to raise the issue of MSP, compensation for kin of COVID-19 victims
- The meeting will be held at Congress President Sonia Gandhi's residence
The Indian National Congress (INC) will sit for a meeting on Thursday to discuss issues that the party would raise in the upcoming Winter Session of the Parliament, starting November 29 and will continue till December 23.
The meeting of Congress’ parliamentary strategy group will take place at the residence of party president Sonia Gandhi. The forthcoming session of the parliament will start in the backdrop of the revoking of the three contentious farm laws by the Narendra Modi-led Indian government. However, as farmers continue to stage protests seeking a law for Minimum Support Prices (MSP), which was not in the repealed farm laws, Congress may raise the issue and stall the proceeding of the session.
On Monday, Congress general secretary KC Venugopal said that the matter of increasing price rise of daily commodities will also be raised by the party in the winter session, as reported by news agency ANI.
Congress to raise voice for COVID-19 victims
Apart from the MSP and inflation, the demand to pay Rs 4 lakh ex gratia to the kin of those who died of COVID-19 will also be discussed in the meeting.
Earlier ANI reported that the Chief Ministers of Congress-ruled states are planning to write to the Union Government, seeking compensation to COVID-19 victims. The Congress Legislative Party (CLP) leaders of every state will also “write to their respective Chief Ministers in the state” where Congress is not in power, demanding ex gratia for the relatives of those who died of COVID-19.
On Wednesday, Maharashtra CLP wrote to the state Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray, urging him to release ex gratia of Rs 1lakh for the families of COVID-19 victims as per the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) norms so that the Centre is compelled to announce its share of Rs 3lakh for each COVID-19 fatality.
In the letter, the CLP leader noted that according to the norms of the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), 75 per cent of Rs 4lakh has to be paid by the central government whereas the remaining 25 per cent will be borne by the respective state government.
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel has already written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the release of the Rs 4lakh compensation to COVID-19 victims’ families. The letter reportedly mentioned that the Chhattisgarh government is committed to providing Rs 1lakh from the SDRF fund, and demanded the Centre’s share in the total compensation. According to ANI, other chief ministers of Congress-ruled states will follow suit.
Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at Centre
Meanwhile, Congress leader and Wayanad MP Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday took a dig at the BJP-led Centre on Twitter over the lack of compensation to the families of COVID-19 victims.
Sharing a four minutes and thirty seconds long video featuring families of COVID-19 victims, Rahul Gandhi said that the Congress party has two demands – one is “revelation of correct figures of COVID-19 related deaths” and second is providing “Rs 4 lakh compensation…to the families who have lost their loved ones to Covid-19.” “If you’re in power, you’ll have to eradicate the sufferings of the people. Due compensation should be provided,” the former Congress president wrote on the micro-blogging site.