The Cuban health ministry has announced a new set of COVID-19 measures for Cubans travelling domestically. These measures would come into effect from 15 July 2021 and are aimed at curbing the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.
The new restrictions would be applicable to the Cubans who arrive at the airports of Varadero and Cayo Coco tourist areas. All the travellers coming to the area would have to go through mandatory isolation for the period of 14 days in designated hotel facilities. According to the new guidelines, the travellers to these areas would not be allowed to leave the tourism areas, Cuban local media reports said. In addition to all that, luggage restrictions have also been put in place on the arrivals, with each passenger allotted a single piece.
The Ministry has also installed a mandatory health screening for all the workers of the said airports. These screenings will be done upon their arrival and departure from their workplaces. Regular Rapid antigen tests will also be conducted for those who have a greater susceptibility to the contagious COVID-19 mutant.
According to the government statistics of the COVID-19 mutant infections, Cuba has a total number of 232,568 confirmed cases on the island. The Caribbean island nation has so far reported 1,490 deaths due to the COVID-19 infections in the country. The tally of patients who have recovered from the virus is around 202,000
On the vaccination front, a total of 2, 966,587 Cuban individuals have so far received at least their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. 1,664,980 Cubans are fully vaccinated against the deadly virus after receiving their second dose of the vaccine.
Cuba on Thursday announced that their two-dose Soberana 2 vaccine, delivered with a booster called Soberana Plus, had shown the efficacy of 91.2% against the coronavirus in late-stage clinical trials.