The Delhi government has received more than 2.3 lakh applications for admission to its schools from kindergartens to class 12 this year, officials said on Monday.
The Chief Minister of Delhi, Arvind Kejriwal, tweeted the figures on Monday and said it was the first time that “this (of students moving to government schools in such large numbers) is happening in India”.
“Till date, the Directorate of Education, Govt. of the NCT of Delhi received 236,522 applications for admission to classes between Nursery to 12 in the 2021-22 program. So far, 158,484 students have been admitted to Delhi government schools. The admission process is still going on, ”the Department of Education said in a statement.
The department also said the number of application for the admission of students in public schools - had increased significantly.
Following the new admissions, the total enrolment in Delhi government schools has now reached 17.67 lakh for the 2021-22 sessions. Registration for the 2020-21 session was 16.28 lakh and 2019-20 was 15.05 lakh.
The Department of Education in Delhi makes two types of admissions – planned and non-planned.
Students who move from one government school to another are considered as planned admissions and those who move from private to government schools are considered as non-planned admissions.
A senior education department official, requesting anonymity, said, “A substantial part of the 236,522 applications is made up of non-planned admissions. We can’t say that all these students are from private schools since the figure also includes applications for entry-level classes (nursery, kindergarten and class 1) and the aspirants may or may not be from private schools. The non-planned admissions, from Class 6 onwards can be considered as those who have migrated from private schools.”
Many principals of government schools have reported an increase in student admissions compared to previous years.