Singer-songwriter Elton John on Thursday announced his decision to postpone his highly anticipated “Farewell Yellow Brick Road” tour until 2023 so that he can undergo an operation for his injured hip. 

"It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I am forced to reschedule the 2021 dates of my Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour in Europe and the UK to 2023," he said in a statement shared on his social media handles. 

Also Read: Sir Elton John warms up ‘Cold Heart’ with impromptu performance. Watch

The 74-year-old said he “fell awkwardly” over the summer and has “been in considerable pain and discomfort” since then.

"Despite intensive physio and specialist treatment, the pain has continued to get worse and is leading to increasing difficulties moving. I have been advised to have an operation as soon as possible to get me back to full fitness and make sure there are no long-term complications," he wrote. 

Also Read: Elton John slams rapper DaBaby for his homophobic comments

He promised his fans that he will be working hard to recover over the next few months to ensure that the US leg of the tour doesn't get postponed. The US leg, originally scheduled for 2020, is set to begin January 2022 in New Orleans.

“I know how patient my incredible fans have been since Covid halted touring last year, and it breaks my heart to keep you waiting any longer. I completely feel your frustrations after the year we’ve had. I promise you this — the shows will return to the road next year and I will make sure they are more than worth the wait," he wrote. 

Soon, several of his friends offered their well wishes, including  Elizabeth Hurley, who posted series of red hearts and tearful emojis on Instagram.

"Wise decision. Take care of yourself. Sending you loads of love Uncle Elt!" Patrick Cox commented.

"Oh no !!! Prayers are going out Elton . I’m so sorry to hear this .. health is most important," Asher Monroe wrote.