India is witnessing a steep surge in fresh coronavirus cases as on Wednesday the nation recorded more than 126,789 new infections. This took the tally of COVID-19 cases to 12,928,574. Many states and cities in the country have imposed fresh restrictions in order to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, with Noida in the NCR becoming the latest to do so.
Also Read | India’s 83% of new COVID-19 cases account from 5 states: Health Ministry
Here’s list of states and cities that have imposed several restrictions to curb the spread of coronavirus:
Noida administration, on Thursday, imposed a night curfew from 10 pm to 5 am till April 17, 2021. However, all movement of essential goods/commodities and essential/medical services shall be exempted.
Earlier on April 7, the Gautam Buddh Nagar district administration also urged residents of Noida and Greater Noida to inform them about the arrival of outsiders in their area for COVID-19 surveillance.
Chhattisgarh’s capital city Raipur will be a containment zone from 6 pm on April 9 till 6 am on April 19, District Magistrate (DM) S Bharathi Dasan said. The decision has been taken over the massive surge in COVID-19 cases.
3. Rajasthan: Ashok Gehlot-led Rajasthan government imposed a night curfew in eight cities from March 22, also making it mandatory for people entering the state to carry a COVID-19 negative test report. The night curfew will be imposed in Ajmer, Bhilwara, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Udaipur, Sagwada (Dungarpur) and Kushalgarh (Banswara) from 11 pm to 5 am.
Also Read | Why second COVID-19 wave in India could be more aggressive than the first
4. Punjab: Punjab government has ordered a complete ban on all social gatherings in the 11 worst-hit districts starting March 21. The exceptions would be made for weddings and funerals that will be with only 20 persons in attendance. Punjab has also imposed a night curfew in nine districts, namely Ludhiana, Jalandhar, Patiala, Mohali, Amritsar, Gurdaspur, Hoshiarpur, Kapurthala and Rupnagar from 9 pm to 5 am.
5. Gujarat: Gujarat has imposed a night curfew in Rajkot and Vadodara from 10 pm to 6 am while in Ahmedabad and Surat, the night curfew is from 9 pm to 6 am. In Surat, home quarantine has been made mandatory for people travelling from outside Gujarat.
Also Read | No quarantine for vaccinated international flyers in Mumbai
6. Maharashtra: Udhhav Thackeray-led Maharashtra government has ordered that all private offices, drama theatres, auditoriums will operate at 50% capacity till March 31. The state government has banned all religious, social, cultural, and political gatherings, meanwhile, weddings can have a maximum of 50 people and funerals 20. Apart from this, several districts have imposed separate restrictions and night curfews.
Also Read | Mumbai to conduct random rapid antigen tests at crowded places without consent
7. Madhya Pradesh: The Madhya Pradesh government has announced a lockdown in Indore, Bhopal, and Jabalpur every Sunday till further orders. The lockdown will be in force from Saturday at 10 pm to Monday at 6 am.
8. Karnataka: The Karnataka government imposed fresh restrictions in the state in an order on April 2, closing schools for classes 6 to 9, banning religious gatherings, shutting swimming pools, malls and gyms. Karnataka has also suspended election rallies, dharnas and classes for higher and professional courses.
9. Odisha: The state of Odisha has announced a night curfew in 10 districts from April 5. The night curfew will be observed in the districts of Sundergarh, Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Bargarh, Bolangir, Nuapada, Kalahandi, Nawarangpur, Koraput and Malkangiri.
10. Bihar: In fresh restrictions, Bihar has deferred its order to reopen schools and colleges, which were scheduled to open on April 5, till April 11. Bihar has banned public functions and marriages will only be allowed with a maximum of 250 people, while only 50 can attend a funeral.