Agnipath scheme: Where will ‘Agniveers’ go? Anand Mahindra has an answer
Agnipath is the Indian government’s new soldier recruitment policy
75% ‘Agniveers’ will be released only after four years
Anand Mahindra has a plan for ‘Agniveers’
Agnipath, the Indian government’s new soldier recruitment policy, has caused a stir across the country. Violent protests have broken out in many parts owing to the new policy. Amid all of this, Anand Mahindra, chairperson of Mahindra and Mahindra, wrote on Twitter that his company will be interested to hire ‘Agniveers’.
Writing on Twitter, Mahindra said, “Saddened by the violence around #Agneepath program. When the scheme was mooted last year I stated & I repeat – the discipline and skills Agniveers gain will make them eminently enjoyable. The Mahindra Group welcomes the opportunity to recruit such trained, capable and young people.”
Upon being asked by a Twitter user about the posts ‘Agniveers’ will be recruited in, Mahindra wrote back saying: “Large potential for employment of Agniveers in the corporate sector. With leadership, teamwork & physical training, agniveers provide market-ready professional solutions to industry covering the full spectrum from operations to administration & supply chain management.”
The Indian government’s new soldier recruitment scheme Agnipath seeks to overhaul the country’s military hiring processes. Agnipath recruits, called ‘Agniveers’ will serve a term of four years. After the fourth year, 75% of new recruits will be released from service with a lumpsum pay while the remaining 25% will go on to serve minimum 15-year terms.
The announcement of the scheme caused a wave of protests across the country as aspirants asked where ‘Agniveers’ will go after they finish their four-year tours of duty. While Mahindra was the one corporate to have shown support, the Indian government has decided to reserve 10% of CAPF (Central Armed Police Force) for ‘Agniveers’.
On Monday, protestors have called for a Bharat Bandh. At least 10 states are on high alert. Section 144 was imposed in Noida. An armed forces senior official has warned aspirants against partaking in vandalism.
“The Indian Army’s foundation lies in discipline. There’s no space for arson or vandalism. Police verification is mandatory, no one can join without it, said Lieutenant General Anil Puri.