A medical officer was arrested for allegedly killing a 26-year-old woman doctor of the SN Medical College in Uttar Pradesh’s Agra, reported PTI quoting officials. He was arrested from Jalaun district on Thursday.

Yogita Gautam, a doctor at SN Medical College, went missing on Tuesday and her body was found with injury marks along an isolated road stretch in Agra’s Dauki area on Wednesday morning. Her identity was ascertained in the evening, the officials said.

According to PTI, the accused, Vivek Tiwari was senior of Gautam at their medical school in Moradabad. He had been harassing her and allegedly putting pressure on her to marry him, said officials.

30-year-old Tiwari has confessed the crime and claimed that he was in a relationship with the female doctor for seven years, reported PTI.

A purported video of their heated argument on Tuesday evening has also surfaced on social media.

“Dr Yogita Gautam who was pursuing MD at the S N Medical College went missing on Tuesday. Her family approached the local police station after her mobile phone was not reachable,” Senior Superintendent of Police, Agra, Babloo Kumar told PTI.

“The family alleged in the complaint that Dr Vivek Tiwari, currently medical officer at Jalaun Medical College, would often call her, harass and threaten her,” Kumar said.

He said the Agra Police tied up with their counterparts in Jalaun district, leading to the arrest of the accused doctor.

The SSP said that there were visible injury marks on Gautam’s head and neck, and other “struggle marks”.

The body has been sent for postmortem, he said, adding that the accused was being interrogated and all facts of the case would be unveiled soon.

In a video clip, the accused stated that he came to meet Gautam from Jalaun on Tuesday. They were sitting inside his car around 6.30 pm when a heated argument ensued between them.

“I strangled her but when I realised she has not died, I used a knife, which I usually keep in my car, to attack her on the head,” Tiwari said.

He later dumped the body in an isolated area and covered it up with woods before leaving the spot.