Pakistan wants joint probe in India's 'accidental' missile launch
Pakistan urged the international community to voice its stance on the incident
India decision of holding an internal inquiry "is not sufficient", Pakistan said
A surface-to-surface "supersonic missile" was launched from India
Pakistan said a "joint probe" should be launched into the accidental missile firing incident of India, a day after New Delhi said it will conduct an internal investigation into the matter. Pakistan also called upon the international community to voice its stance on the incident.
"Pakistan demands a joint probe to accurately establish the facts surrounding the incident", a statement from Pakistan's foreign ministry said.
"Indian decision to hold an internal court of inquiry is not sufficient since the missile ended up in Pakistani territory. Pakistan demands a joint probe to accurately establish the facts surrounding the incident,” it said.
"Such a serious matter cannot be addressed with the simplistic explanation proffered by the Indian authorities", the statement added, according to reports from Reuters.
Islamabad said that any misinterpretations from either side could have "dire consequences" and said countries should play their "due role in promoting stability in a nuclearised environment."
Pakistan military officials said on Thursday that a surface-to-surface "supersonic missile" struck the city of Mian Channu on Wednesday evening and endangered civilians and threatened commercial flights.
India, however, later cleared the air and said that the missile was not part of any hostile act against Pakistan and was accidental. It was launched due "technical malfunction" during routine maintenance, a statement from New Delhi's foreign office read.
Major General Babar Iftikhar of Pakistan said that the air force tracked the missile from its launch at an Indian facility and throughout its more than three-minute-long flight inside Pakistan's airspace, according to reports from Associated Press.
Iftikar said there were no sensitive military installations in the area where the missile landed. A senior air force officer, Vice Marshal Tariq Zia said the military was still examining its remnants. No deaths or injuries linked to the incident have been reported so far.