'Take risks in your life...': 5 life lessons by Swami Vivekananda
Swami Vivekananda was born in Kolkata on January 12, 1863
He started gaining interest in Western philosophy, history, and theology, at a very young age
He formed the Ramakrishna Mission in 1897
July 4 is observed as Swami Vivekananda Smriti Divas in India as it marks the death anniversary of the great Hindu spiritual leader, who became a message of Indian wisdom to the West.
Born in Kolkata on January 12, 1863, as Narendra Nath Datta, Swami Vivekananda started gaining interest in Western philosophy, history, and theology, at a very young age. He then met the religious leader Ramakrishna Paramhansa, who later became his Guru until the latter’s death in 1886.
Following his Guru's death, Swami Vivekananda travelled across India, imparting spiritual knowledge.
He is especially remembered for his speech at the Parliament of the World’s Religions in Chicago in 1893 in which he covered a wide range of topics, including universal acceptance, and tolerance. The speech got him a standing ovation from the crowd.
“I am proud to belong to a religion which has taught the world both tolerance and universal acceptance. We believe not only in universal tolerance but we accept all religions as true. I am proud to belong to a nation which has sheltered the persecuted and the refugees of all religions and all nations of the earth. Sectarianism, bigotry, and its horrible descendant, fanaticism, have long possessed this beautiful earth…Had it not been for these horrible demons, human society would be far more advanced than it is now," he said in the speech.
He then formed the Ramakrishna Mission in 1897 "to set in motion a machinery which will bring noblest ideas to the doorstep of even the poorest and the meanest."
On the occasion of Swami Vivekananda Smriti Divas, here are 5 inspirational quotes by the spiritual leader -
1. “Take risks in your life. If you win, you can lead, if you lose, you can guide.”
2. “If I love myself despite my infinite faults, how can I hate anyone at the glimpse of a few faults.”
3. “Learn everything that is good from others but bring it in, and in your own way absorb it; do not become others.”
4. “All the negative thoughts and ideas that are in the world have proceeded from this evil spirit of fear.”
5. “Your body is a weapon and consider it very strong. Consider your mind to be very strong as only with strong mind and body you will be able to cross the ocean of life. Have strong faith in yourself, your body and mind."