Islamic State takes responsibility for Afghanistan mosque attack
- Islamic claimed responsibilty on its Telegram channels
- Matiullah Rohani acceptd that that 46 people had been killed and 143 were injured
- UN in Afghanistan expressed condolences for the deceased
The Islamic State said in a statement posted on its Telegram channels, that an IS suicide bomber "detonated an explosive vest amid a crowd" of Shiite worshippers who had congregated inside the mosque.
The bomber was described as "Muhammad al-Uyguri" in the statement, indicating that he was a member of China's mainly Muslim Uyghur minority.
The blast occurred in a Shiite mosque in Kunduz province during the weekly Friday prayer service at the Gozar-e-Sayed Abad Mosque. During the blast, members of the Shiite religious minority typically come in large numbers for worship.
Matiullah Rohani, director of culture and information in Kunduz for Afghanistan's new Taliban government, admitted to AFP that the tragic incident was a suicide attack and said that 46 people had been killed and 143 were injured.
Mulawi Dost Muhammad, the Taliban's security head in Kunduz, accused the assailants of attempting to stir up sectarian strife between Shiites and Sunnis. He denied any dispute between the movement and the minority." We assure our Shiite brothers that in the future, we will provide security for them and that such problems will not happen to them," he stated.
Videos and photos posted on social media and elsewhere appear to show people scouring the destroyed mosque and taking a worshipper's body from the gruesome scene to an ambulance.
The explosion was "the symptom that the implosion (of Afghanistan) may also translate into renewed insecurity" UN refugee head Filippo Grandi told reporters in Geneva.
He added "more people killed, more terrorist attacks, more instability. And that is also something that we should all be worried about".