Essential hair care tips you need to follow during the monsoon
- Frizzy hair is common issue you can face during monsoon
- Never skip oiling your hair even during monsoon
- We are bringing you some tips to ensure your hair stays healthy, glossy and bouncy even in monsoon
While we all love monsoon, increased levels of humidity during the rains make it difficult to manage your hair. Problems like hairfall, dandruff, itchy scalp, and frizzy hair are common. But, relax and don’t let the rains get to you. Monsoon doesn’t have to be a season of bad hair days. With some extra care, you can sail through the humidity and restore your beautiful tresses.
We are bringing you some tips to ensure your hair stays healthy, glossy, nourished, and bouncy even in monsoon.
Melroy Dickson, General Manager, MATRIX help us with steps to keep hair healthy.
Cleanse and Condition:
Begin your hair care routine by cleansing your hair with a shampoo, best suited for your hair type and concerns. Make sure that the water used is warm and avoid using extremely hot water – which may cause hair strands to break off. Follow it up with a nourishing conditioner that will keep the nutrients intact leaving you with soft and silky smooth hair.
Hydrate and Nourish:
Show your hair some tender love and care by using a hair mask once a week which will leave your hair deeply conditioned. Ensure that the mask you are using is formulated using nourishing ingredients like aloe vera for restoring hydration, which will help restore and rejuvenate dull hair. Use this post your conditioner and leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
Also read: Here’s how coffee can help your hair grow
Manage and Transform:
Tame unruly hair with a serum or leave-in cream which will protect your hair from humidity and the subsequent frizz. Apply on wet or dry hair and massage into your hair strands for frizz-free smooth tresses.
Repair and Protect:
Use products that are specially formulated to treat fragile hair, to maintain the elasticity of hair and restore shine. Protect your tresses by avoiding common mistakes such as – using products without seeking advice from a professional, using thermal styling tools without using a heat protectant or using the wrong comb that can in turn cause damage (use different combs for detangling, styling, flattening frizz)
Dickson has a piece of advice for people who have coloured hair. For them, the monsoon calls for some extra care as the environment can make already dry hair even drier and lead to dullness.
“Make sure you use products that are specially made for coloured hair and address the concerns of dull and dry hair to give shine and vibrancy. This will also help in maintaining the longevity of the colour and reduce fading, he says.
Dr. Sushant Shetty, Head Medical Operations, Services and Engineering, Kaya Limited tells us about how oiling your scalp for at least 30 minutes before washing is a must. “Choose coconut, almond, or olive oil. Slightly warm it up before applying and wrap your hair in a damp towel that was soaked in warm water. Additional heat will help nourish your hair completely,” he tells Opoyi.
“Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and get rid of the oil. Wash it with slightly warm water as it helps remove the oil. Then condition with a deep nourishing conditioner. Give your hair a final rinse with cold water to seal the cuticles. This helps in minimizing frizz.” “Tame your frizz with a nourishing serum. Allow your hair to dry naturally and avoid unnecessary heat treatments like blow drying and tongs,” Shetty adds.
Frizzy, dull and lifeless hair can be disheartening, during monsoons.
Melissa Hughe, National Technical Head, Schwarzkopf Professional says, “Anti-frizz care products contain special ingredients that fill gaps in the hairs surface and coat the hair, sealing the cuticles whilst revealing a smooth and shiny uniform hair fiber. Anti-humidity products further protect the hair from humidity for a longer-lasting frizz-free effect. The layering of anti-frizz and anti-humidity products will, therefore, give you the best of results.”
Other monsoon hacks you can follow-
1. Trim your tresses- A trim will help get rid of dry ends and splits adding to the overall frizz control
2. Keep the mask/treatment in your hair for 5 minutes or longer and rinse with cool water. The mask takes a minimum of 5 minutes to have full effect, and the cool water will help seal the cuticles better.
3. After washing your hair, avoid rough-drying the hair with the towel as it ruffles the cuticle causing frizz. 4. Instead blot-dry with a towel avoiding any rubbing movements to remove excess water before blow-drying
5. Blow-dry gently pointing the dryer nozzle in a downward direction
6. Rain-proof your hair by using a product that helps seal the cuticles. Always keep a leave-in product/serum handy that will smoothen rough cuticles at any given time
7. Electric styling tools can be harmful to the hair if not used appropriately. Improper use can cause frizz. Always use a serum/ heat protecting product before hot styling your hair.
8. The trick to refining your hair this monsoon is - a fuss-free haircut, regular shampooing and a good leave-in conditioner.
Follow these tips and say goodbye to all hair problems.