Plagued by the coronavirus situation, the Boston Red Sox have placed starting right-hander Nick Pivetta and utility player Danny, Santana on the COVID-19/injured list on Sunday, according to US media reports.
Infielder/outfielder Santana was added to the list just 30 minutes before the first pitch against Cleveland. He is the 11th Boston player — six position players and five pitchers — to go on the COVID-19-related injury list in the past 10 days.
Pivetta was scheduled to start the series finale against the Indians at Fenway Park.
“You have to be patient,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora said of the situation, explaining how the Yankees and his close friend, manager Aaron Boone, handled it earlier this season, according to Associated Press inputs.
“It is strange, but honestly this is something, Boonie went through this in the season,’’ Cora said. “The way he handled it from afar, I was like: "Wow! This is great."
The Yankees put nine players on the COVID-19 list from the first day after the All-Star break through Aug. 8, including All-Stars Aaron Judge and Gerrit Cole.
Cora understands that there is no time to relax with the Red Sox trying to earn a postseason berth.
“You gotta keep going,” he said. “It’s not easy. I would love to have everybody here, but, at the same time, it’s part of it. It’s a challenge, but it’s a challenge that we like as a group.”
Kutter Crawford, a 25-year-old outfielder from Triple-A Worcester, has been recalled. In his major league debut, the right-hander faced the Indians and gave up two runs in the first inning.
The first two games of the series were won by Boston after late comebacks.
The Red Sox were a half-game behind the Yankees for the top wild-card slot in the American League and four games ahead of Oakland for the second.
With inputs from the Associated Press