New York Mets activated shortstop Francisco Lindor from the injured list on Tuesday and included him in the lineup for the game against San Francisco Giants after he missed five weeks with a right oblique strain.
Mets manager Luis Rojas confirmed Lindor's return prior to a game against the major league-leading Giants. The four-time All-Star was set to bat third.
Jacob deGrom, who has been out since July 7 with right forearm tightness, will have an MRI on Wednesday and it will be reviewed by Dr. David Altchek. Acting general manager Zack Scott said he would rely on Altchek's opinion to determine if the two-time Cy Young Award winner can resume throwing.
Lindor struggled early in the season after being acquired from the Cleveland Indians and signing a $341 million, 10-year contract. He is hitting .228 with 11 homers and a .702 OPS on the year.
He was swinging better prior to the injury, batting .288 with three homers and a .875 OPS in his last 20 games before going on the injured list on July 17.
The Mets have lost two of 10 and slid out of the NL postseason picture entirely at 61-63 after leading the NL East for nearly three months. First-year owner Steve Cohen criticized New York's struggling hitters on Twitter last week, and Lindor said on Saturday that his hitting warranted the barb.
"We have been getting that message all year. We have not really hit all year long. I have not performed. I have not done it. The bottom line, I have not done what I am here to do when it comes to the offensive side," AP quoted Lindor as saying.
Lindor will be paired with newcomer Javier Báez in the middle infield for the first time. Acquired from the Chicago Cubs at the trade deadline, Báez returned on Sunday after missing 11 days with a back injury.
DeGrom was transferred to the 60-day injured list over the weekend and is not eligible to play until September 13. Even if he's cleared to resume throwing Wednesday, Scott doesn't anticipate him being ready for game action by that date.