Pogba joins elite list as Man Utd thrash Leeds on Premier League opener
- Manchester United beat Leeds United 5-1 to get their Premier League campaign off to a flyer
- Pogba recorded four assists in the match
- Bruno Fernandes scored a hattrick
French midfielder Paul Pogba became the first-ever Manchester United player to record four assists in a single Premier League game as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men went off to a flying start against Leeds United, winning 5-1 in their season-opener on Saturday.
Pogba became only the eighth player in Premier League history to record four assists in a single game, with four Arsenal players among those to have achieved that feat before. Here are the seven other players to have assisted four times in a single game:
1. Dennis Bergkamp (for Arsenal vs Leicester City, February 20, 1999)
2. Jose Antonio Reyes (for Arsenal vs Middlesbrough, January 14, 2006)
3. Cesc Fabregas (for Arsenal vs Blackburn Rovers, October 4, 2009)
4. Emmanuel Adebayor (for Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United, 11 February 2012)
5. Santi Cazorla (for Arsenal vs Wigan Athletic, May 14, 2013)
6. Dusan Tadic (for Southampton vs Sunderland, October 18, 2014)
7. Harry Kane (for Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton, 20 September, 2020)
The scoring was inevitably opened by Portuguese midfielder Bruno Fernandes, who completed a memorable opening-day hattrick on the 30th minute-mark, with the Red Devils going into the half-time interval with a one-goal lead.
Leeds stunned Old Trafford as Luke Ayling equalized with a long-range stunner right after the break, but the Red Devils were at their destructive best as a four-goal burst in 16 minutes ended the contest with nearly a quarter of the game to spare.
Pogba first threaded a pin-point through ball to release Greenwood, who found the bottom left with aplomb, then set up Fernandes for his second of the night. The fourth goal came after centre-back Victor Lindelof sent a looping ball over the top to release Fernandes, who thrashed the ball beyond Meslier in goal.
Pogba got his fourth and final assist as he squared a ball from the left wing to find Fred, who made a late run into box, for the Brazilian to cap off a dream start at the Theatre of Dreams.