And the stud is gone: Hamilton backs down in F1 jewellery row at British GP
- Lewis Hamilton and the FIA have been involved in a dispute over jewellery ban in F1
- The Mercedes driver could face a ban if he doesn't remove his jewellery
- However, Hamilton was not wearing any jewellery at Silverstone
Lewis Hamilton, seven-time Formula 1 champion, on Friday appeared at the British Grand Prix first practice session without his nose stud. The Mercedes driver has been involved in a dispute with the FIA over a jewellery ban the sporting authority enforced earlier this year.
The F1 governing body has threatened to ban drivers if they did not remove earrings and studs in compliance with the regulations.
The Appendix L the International Sporting Code states: “The wearing of jewellery in the form of body piercing or metal neck chains is prohibited during the competition and may therefore be checked before the start.”
Hamilton had protested the crackdown by showing up at the Miami Grand Prix wearing at least four stacked necklaces, three watches and four rings on each hand. He also had earrings and a nose ring.
“Honestly, I feel like there’s just way too much time and energy being given to this," the 37-year-old said at the Azerbaijan GP earlier this month.
“The rule came in in 2005. I think we’ve all worn jewellery throughout our careers in Formula One. It’s not been a problem in the past and there’s no reason for it to necessarily be a problem now."
F1 had set the deadline at Silverstone. A decision on a possibility of banning Lewis Hamilton over jewellery had to be taken this weekend. However, the Brit seems to have backed down.
An FIA spokesman said, "The stud has gone."
Hamilton has on numerous occasions said that he would not accept the ban as his jewellery had never caused safety problems before.
"These ones on my right ear, they’re literally welded in. I [would] have to get them chopped off or something like that, so they will be staying," the 37-year-old had said.