How long has Messi played for Barcelona?
- Messi made his debut with FC Barcelona at the age of 16
- His first official appearance was in 2004
- Messi played for Barcelona's B team earlier
Lionel Messi, who is Argentina's star player and one of the top scorers, will not continue playing for Spanish club FC Barcelona. The 34-year-old has been associated with the club for more than a decade, although in different capacities.
In 2003, Messi made his debut for Barcelona at the age of 16 against Porto in a friendly match. At this time, he was playing for the B team of Barcelona. At the age of 17, Messi became the youngest player ever to play for the club in an official match, according to reports from Insider.
Just a year later in 2005, Messi got signed the first contract and became a part of Barcelona's senior team. The signing also coincided with his 18th birthday, which falls on June 24.
Since then, Messi has helped the team garner major titles including La Liga, Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League.
In 2007, Messi was given the tag of Spanish football's 'Messiah' after he finished third in the voting for Ballon d'Or and was ended up in the second position in FIFA Player of the Year ranking. He was just 20 years old at the time.
One of the most significant moments of Messi's journey with Barcelona's team was when the renowned player took over the 'Number 10' jersey after Ronaldhino departed.
In his 17 year engagement with the club, Messi has made 778 appearances and scored 672 goals, according to the official website of FC Barcelona.
Trending on Opoyi
- Watch: Radha Yadav takes a blinder to dismiss Tahlia McGrath in the Commonwealth Games final
- India celebrates table tennis duo Sharath Kamal-Sathiyan Gnanasekaran's silver at Commonwealth Games 2022
- Who is Henrique Otávio Oliveira Velozo, officer suspect in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu legend Leandro Lo's death?