Mason Greenwood, striker for Manchester United, has been charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault, the Crown Prosecution Service said on Saturday.
Greenwood, 21, was arrested in January over allegations of rape. The accusations against the footballer first emerged on social media. On Saturday, the footballer was arrested for breaching bail conditions. Later on, he was charged with attempted rape.
Prosecutors say all charges relate to the same female complainant. Greenwood will appear before the Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
Janet Potter of the Crown Prosecution Service North West said they had authorised the Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood for attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
The 21-year-old striker is accused to have indulged in coercive and controlling behaviour for a three-year period from November 1, 2018 to October 15, 2022. The accusation of assaulting a person causing them actual bodily harm is between December 1 to 31 last year.
The decision to charge Greenwood was taken after specialist rape prosecutors reviewed evidence from police.4, Potter said.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.”
“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice those proceedings,” Potter said.
Mason Greenwood has made one appearance for the senior English men’s team and has not played for Manchester United since his arrest. After accusations against Greenwood surfaced, Manchester United said the club does not condone violence of any kind. The club further said that it would not comment until facts were established.
Meanwhile, Nike, the sports brand, has severed its relationship with Greenwood. Electronic Arts, the sports gaming country, has also removed Greenwood from Fifa 22.