Brazilian football legend Pele posted on Instagram on Saturday to update fans worried about his health. Pele said that he is feeling “strong” and “with hope” after reports that he had been moved to palliative care.
“I want to keep everyone calm and positive,” Pelé wrote, sharing the latest medical report from São Paulo’s Albert Einstein hospital that says he remains in stable condition. “I follow my treatment as usual.”
The 82-year-old, who helped the Brazil national team win three World Cups, ended his message by calling on fans to watch the Selecao play in this year’s tournament. Brazil will take on South Korea in Doha on Monday.
Pele was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday to reevaluate his colon cancer treatment but was later on admitted with respiratory problems according to medical reports. He has responded well to treatment for a respiratory infection and his condition was stable in the last 24 hours, the Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein said in a statement.
During Brazil’s match against Cameroon at the FIFA World Cup on Friday, fans held up a banner with a message of support to the former footballer. His image has been projected on building in Qatar as a show of support.
The Brazilian newspaper Folha de S Paulo reported on Saturday morning that Pele is receiving palliative care after stopped responding to the chemotherapy treatment for cancer.
The chemotherapy has now been suspended and Pelé is receiving end-of-life care, being treated only for respiratory problems, the report said.
However, the Alber Einstein hospital declined to confirm reports that the football legend is under palliative care and said it would only communicate through official bulletins.
Pele retired from football in 1977 and has been suffering from health problems in recent years. He was diagnosed with colon cancer in September 2021 and was admitted to the hospital for two weeks in December last year.