What you need to know about Neeraj Chopra, India's Golden Boy
- Neeraj Chopra won a gold medal in the javelin throw event
- 23-year-old Chopra hails from Panipat, Haryana
- Chopra won India's sole gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics
Neeraj Chopra won a silver medal at the World Athletics Championships on Sunday, July 24, 2022. Chopra's victory comes after he won gold at the Tokyo Olympics.
Chopra’s Olympics performance ensured that India made its best-ever medal haul at an Olympic edition with the country claiming a total of seven medals.
Neeraj Chopra’s gold was only the second gold won by an Indian in an individual Olympic event. Thus, the 23-year-old javelin thrower from a farming family in Haryana has emerged as the next superstar sportsman of India.
Here’s a brief overview of the life India’s rising superstar.
- Neeraj Chopra, 23, hails from Panipat in Haryana. His father is a farmer. Chopra is a graduate of DAV College, Chandigarh. Following his Olympic win, the Haryana state government announced that it would honour the athlete with a cash prize of Rs 6 crore.
- 23-year-old Chopra took up javelin throwing in 2011 after he saw people practice throwing javelin in Haryana, according to Chopra’s bio on the Olympics website.
- Chopra is a Subedar with the 4 Rajputana Rifles in the Indian Army. After his gold medal win, Chief of Army Staff General MM Naravane congratulated Subedar Neeraj Chopra for winning India’s first-ever gold medal in javelin.
- Neeraj Chopra is the first athlete to have won gold at the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and the Olympics.
- He became the first Indian athlete to win a junior world title in athletics when he won a gold medal in javelin throw at the World Junior Championships in Poland in 2016.
- Neeraj Chopra won the first gold medal for India at the Tokyo Olympics. He is also the first Indian to win a gold medal in athletics. Chopra’s medal is also India’s second individual gold medal in Olympic history after Abhinav Bindra won gold in shooting at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
- Neeraj Chopra won silver at the World Athletics Championships on July 24, 2022.