Manchester United on Wednesday issued a statement regarding Antony’s domestic violence allegations. The club said that pending investigation, it will “will be making no further comments.”
“Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony and notes that the Police are conducting inquiries,” the club said.
“As a club, we are taking this matter seriously, with consideration of the impact these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse.”
The statement came two days after the 23-year-old was dropped from the Brazil squad.
“Due to the facts that became public this Monday involving Manchester United player Antony, and which need to be investigated, and in order to safeguard the alleged victim, the player, the Brazilian team, and the CBF, the organization informs that the athlete has been withdrawn from the Brazilian team,” Brazil Football Confederation (CBF) said in a statement on Monday.
Anthony had been named to the squad for CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying games vs Bolivia and Peru before he was dropped.
The allegations of assault were first made against him by his ex-girlfriend in June this year. She made further accusations against the 23-year-old in public on Monday.
After the accusations were made public, Greater Manchester Police issued a statement saying, “Greater Manchester Police is aware of the allegations made and inquiries remain ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding this report.”
Meanwhile, Anthony issued a statement, insisting that all the accusations against him were ”false.”
“Out of respect for my fans, friends, and family, I feel obligated to speak publicly about the false accusations I have been a victim of. From the beginning I have handled this issue seriously and with respect, providing the due clarifications to the police authority,” he said.
“The police inquest is under the cover of justice and therefore I cannot make its content public. However, I can say with confidence that the accusations are false and the evidence already produced and more to be produced show that I am innocent of the accusations made.”