Rafael Nadal is set to miss the rest of the tennis season after his hip surgery, his representative said on Saturday. The 22-time Grand Slam champion is targeting an Australian Open 2024 comeback.
Nadal turned 37 on Saturday. He underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his left psoas tendon following his left hip injury at the Australian Open 2023 in January. He was operated at a clinic in Barcelona.
His team said that the procedure went well. The damaged areas were cleaned and reinforced and an old labrum injury was also addressed. However, rehabilitation could take long. Nadal is already sitting out of the French Open for the first time since 2004.
“The surgery was positive,” said his spokesman. “The normal recovery process is estimated at five months.”
The Wimbledon Slam will be played in July and US Open in August-September. Nadal last month said that the hip injury had not healed. He had to leave the Australian Open 2023 second-round vs Mackenzie McDonald.
His injury gives rival Novak Djokovic a shot at breaking the tie for 22 majors. The Serb is a favorite at Roland Garros this year. He reached the last 16 in Paris for the 14th successive year and will face Juan Pablo Virallas, the 94th-ranked Peruvian, on Sunday.
According to tennis journalist Jon Wertheim, Nadal was operated on by Dr. Marc Philippon of the Steadman Clinic on Saturday.
“Told Rafael Nadal’s surgery “went well.” Performed in Barcelona, chiefly by Marc Philippon of Steadman Clinic. Nadal Stitched up, heading home to celebrate 37 bday; was given expected recovery time of five months,” Wertheim tweeted.