Two Australian Open tennis players tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday, AFP reported citing health officials.

According to Victoria state's health authority, the players (whose name have not been released) were among three new cases -- a woman in her 20s and two men in their 30s. The total cases of COVID-19 recorded at the tournament has thus reached seven.

More than 1,000 players and staff are in quarantine after arriving in Australia. Three of the 17 charter flights were found to be carrying positive cases. 

The postponed Grand Slam is turning out to be a mammoth exercise and is a cause of concern among Australians, especially in host city Melbourne where a four-month lockdown ended in October.

Grand Slam champion Djokovic is among a select group of stars -- including Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka and Rafael Nadal -- who were flown to Adelaide for better quarantine facilities such as hotel rooms with balconies. 

Also read: Tennis player Nick Kyrgios slams world No.1 Novak Djokovic as tool over quarantine demands

Australian Open director Craig Tiley told AFP that though Australia's strict quarantine rules were initially a 'shock' to some players, they accepted the restrictions.

"The majority of the players have been absolutely fantastic and this is a playing group that's a little bit upset with what some others have said because it holds them in a bad light in the community," Tiley said.

He added that the rules regarding the maximum duration of men's matches would not be changed from five sets to three, for players whose preparation had been 'compromised' by the quarantine.

"We haven't entertained those comments or that position," he said.