More than 100,000 people who tested positive for COVID-19 in the UK died since the pandemic started in late 2019, according to the country's official data. 

On Tuesday, another 1,631 deaths were recorded in the country which brought the tally to 100,162 from over 3.7 million cases. 

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary said, "My thoughts are with each and every person who has lost a loved one -- behind these heart-breaking figures are friends, families and neighbours. I know how hard the last year has been, but I also know how strong the British public's determination is and how much we have all pulled together to get through this. We cannot let up now and we sadly still face a tough period ahead. The virus is still spreading and we're seeing over 3,500 people per day being admitted into the hospital." 

Also Read: Earth lost 28 trillion tonnes of ice in last three decades: UK scientists

The first cases of COVID-19 were reported on January 29, 2020 in the UK. However, Prime Minister Boris Johnson did not show signs of urgency in tackling the spread.  

The PM said in a Downing Street news conference, "I am deeply sorry for every life that has been lost and, of course, as prime minister, I take full responsibility for everything that the government has done."

A lockdown was imposed in the country in March after the virus started gaining pace and spreading, however, the government's response in the areas of tracing and testing was questioned by many. 

Steven Powis, the National Health Service director of England said, "If we can keep deaths below 20,000 we will have done very well". 

A study conducted by the Imperial College London, which predicted the death of at least 500,000 without any preventive measures in place, triggered the lockdown in Britain. 

Also Read: UK unemployment hits 5% on coronavirus fallout

Since then, the country has endured another two waves of the deadly virus and is currently fighting in its third and deadliest bout, blamed on a new variant that hit late December in 2020.

Although case numbers have fallen over the past week, Chris Whitty, the government's chief medical officer, warned on Friday that the peak in deaths of the current wave was still "in the future".