Five people have been taken into custody in connection with the armed carjacking of Pennsylvania Congresswoman Mary Gay Scanlon. 

The incident took place near FDR Park in the southern portion of Philadelphia around 2.30 pm on Wednesday afternoon. The 62-year-old Congresswoman was walking to her parked 2017 blue Acura after taking a tour of the park when two armed men confronted her and ordered her to give them the keys to her car. The men then drove off with her car, leaving her behind in the parking lot. While Scanlon managed to escape unhurt, her multiple cell phones, purse and government ID were all in the car.

Also Read: US Congressional panel launches probe into deadly Astroworld event

Around 9 pm, cops found the car in the parking lot of a local shopping centre with five occupants inside, all of whom were taken into custody following “a brief foot pursuit.” The suspects have been described as four males and a female.

Also Read: Johnny Isakson, former Georgia Republican US senator, dies

Philadelphia Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are both investigating the incident and the charges in the case have not been announced, 

“[Scanlon] thanks the Philadelphia Police Department for their swift response, and appreciates the efforts of both the Sergeant at Arms in D.C. and her local police department for coordinating with Philly PD to ensure her continued safety,” Representative Scanlon’s office said in a statement. 

Meanwhile, in a statement, Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney stated that he was “appalled to learn of this violent crime.”

“Everyone deserves to feel safe in our city, and sadly, as we know, that hasn’t always been the case this year. It’s disheartening, and quite frankly infuriating, that criminals feel emboldened to commit such a reckless crime in the middle of the day in…one of Philadelphia’s most beautiful parks,” he said in a statement. 

“I’m also thankful that our police officers have been working hard to identify violent criminals and get them off our streets. PPD is actively investigating this incident. We simply cannot and will not tolerate any acts of violence.”