A police officer was shot in the leg on Doman Drive, Deptford while following a suspect on Friday afternoon, law enforcement sources told Fox 29.

The officer was taken to Cooper University Hospital. The female officer was placed in critical condition, according to the report. Details about the condition of the officer weren’t immediately available.

The team of investigators have not yet released information on the circumstances which led to the shooting. The suspect is reportedly dead.

Also Read | Who is Taylor Ryan? Megan Fox OnlyFans lookalike quits Amazon job after making $30,000 a month

Immediate reports indicated that the shooting happened sometime after 1 pm on Doman Drive. It is a dead-end road within a residential neighborhood. 

A SkyFOX video showed a massive police presence and areas in Doman Avenue in the Westville residential neighborhood cordoned off with police tape. 

Tom Gilbert, acting chief of detectives at the Gloucester County Prosecutor’s Office, said there was no ongoing threat to the public.

Also Read | Who was Philipp Fusz, Hamburg Jehovah’s Witnesses Center mass shooting suspect?

Emily Secord, 26, a Doman Avenue neighborhood resident said, she heard several gunshots ring out Friday afternoon. At first, she feared a shooting at her daughter’s school, not too far away. She looked out her window, watching dozens of cop cars, state police, and SWAT officers.

“We lived in the house for six years and have never seen anything like the crime scene unfolding on the nearby dead-end road. Gun violence is just wild,” added Secord. 

Attorney Amrita Mohanty, Delsea Drive convenience store owner confirmed someone was shot near his shop. It was unclear who was shot or what led to the gunfire.

Also Read | Who was Forrest Clyde Williams, suspect identified in murder of Pamela Conyers, Glen Burnie High School student, in 1970?

Local business operators waited for additional information from the police. “There was a foot chase somewhere behind us, they told us to stay inside and keep the doors locked.” said an employee at MK Mechanical Services.

The New Jersey Attorney General’s Office is heading the investigation and did not immediately respond to requests for comment.