Jeffrey Vandergrift, popular San Francisco radio host who went missing last month, was found dead this week, authorities told PEOPLE. Social media users are now speculating that the 55-year-old committed suicide. However, the cause of death remains unconfirmed.

Vandergrift’s body was found by police around 5 PM Wednesday in the San Francisco Bay by Pier 39, KRON4 reported. PEOPLE quoted the San Francisco Medical Examiner’s Officer saying that the family of the late radio host has been notified.

Also Read | Who is Francisco Severo Torres? Massachusetts man allegedly stabbed flight attendant on air with broken metal spoon

Radio station WiLD 94.9 in a Twitter post said: “With a heavy heart, we must confirm that the body found near Pier 39 on Wednesday afternoon has been identified as our dear friend, family member & colleague, JV. We are devastated to know now that JV is gone. Please keep his wife Natasha, his family, and close friends in your thoughts and prayers.”

Vandergrift went missing on February 23. The police was informed the next day. He had posted a concerning Instagram update thanking his followers for “a wonderful life-filed w joy, laughs, pain & struggle.” The on-air personality further changed Twitter location to “the other side”.

“The stuff I’ve been going through in my brain that they’re trying to figure out. Ugh,” he said during his final show.

His wife, Natasha Yi, had also spoken about JV’s struggles.

“Thank you to our friends and the entire i-HeartRadio family and listeners for your love, support and prayers. I can feel your love and energy for JV, and I am so grateful for it. The amount of compassion for the physical torture JV has been going through for the past 2 years has been overwhelming,” she said in an Instagram post on March 2.

Also Read | Who is Terese L. White, Texas flight attendant found guilty of fentanyl possession?

Now, social media users are suspecting that JV committed suicide.

“Vandergrift’s body has been found in SF Bay near Pier 39. Thought to be suicide. He was suffering with Lyme disease which he said brain effects were horrible,” a Twitter user said.

“How sad, I am glad that his family finally has closure. They knew he wasn’t coming back. May he suffer no more and rest in peace. This should be a wake up call to check in on your guys. Men’s mental health matters, suicide rate amongst men are growing,” another one added.