Officials reported on Friday afternoon that several individuals were saved following a partial building collapse in New Haven, Connecticut.
Just before 1 p.m. on Friday, the unofficial Twitter account for the New Haven fire department announced that a “collapse response” was in progress and that one person was being dug out shortly after.
A Yale New Haven Hospital official informed CBS News at roughly 2:40 p.m. that the hospital had admitted eight victims of the incident.
“Seven patients have minor injuries with bumps and bruises,” said spokesperson Mark D’Antonio. “They are being treated and evaluated. One patient is listed in serious condition. I don’t have details on his injuries but he (is) also being treated as we speak.”
According to New Haven Fire Chief John Alston Jr., the collapse appeared to be caused by employees pouring concrete that pooled more quickly than it could be scattered uniformly. Alston stated that three victims needed to be freed from the concrete in order to prevent the drying process.
Elicker reported that there were no fatalities to the station. Later, he claimed that six individuals had been freed from the structure by firefighters.
The impacted structure appears to be an apartment complex. In a public statement, Elicker stated that the city had already begun an investigation “to make sure our permit process has been done properly.”
“Our units responded immediately within minutes and found several persons in varying degrees of injury, from broken bones to three that were partially buried under the rubble,” Fire Chief John Alston Jr. said during a news conference. “Those persons that were trapped had to be lifted out.”
After a chunk of an apartment building in Davenport, Iowa, collapsed on Sunday, leaving three people missing and presumed dead, Alston said city emergency authorities had been discussing how to handle such situations recently.