Authorities say a Stockton firefighter was critically wounded early Monday while battling a dumpster fire in an industrial area near downtown.

Captain Max Fortuna, a 47-year-old 21-year member of the Stockton Fire Department, was confirmed as the murdered fireman by Stockton Fire Chief Richard Edwards.

Also read: Ahmaud Arbery killing case: Plea deal in hate crime trial

“This is the worst nightmare for a fire chief,” Edwards informed reporters at a press conference on Monday morning.

At 4:45 am, the firefighter was part of a crew that responded to a 911 call reporting a trash fire between Aurora and Washington streets.

“We found a dumpster fire impinging upon a structure,” Edwards said. “As the firefighters were extinguishing the fire, shots were heard and the captain of Engine 2 had been struck.”

Also read: Nebraska house fire kills two children; multiple deaths reported

Fortuna was taken to the hospital but died as a result of his injuries. He leaves behind a wife and two adult children.

Mario Gardea, the president of the firefighters’ union, said Fortuna was well-liked by his coworkers.

“Max was a firefighter who showed up every day and never complained,” he said. “He’s going to be missed.”

A 67-year-old male was detained, and a firearm was discovered, according to Stockton police.

“When officers arrived they did locate a person who they believe is responsible for this shooting,” Stockton police officer Joe Silva told CBS 13. “Right now he’s down at the police station getting ready to be interviewed by our detectives.”

Also read: Texas toddler hailed as hero after his call saves family from deadly fire

The incident follows two unconnected near-misses in the Bay Area earlier this month.

Last week, while responding to a medical emergency, Richmond firemen were caught in the crossfire of a drive-by gunshot.

“Luckily, none of the crew was struck by the gunfire, however the fire engine didn’t fair so well as it was left with multiple bullet holes in the drivers side,” firefighters posted on social media.

On January 21, Oakland police detained a guy suspected of fatally shooting a victim and firing at Oakland firefighters.

In the 1400 block of Center Street, a shooting occurred. Officers were dispatched to a residence at 8:41 pm after receiving a report of a person shot.

Also read: David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox legend, hopes to make it to the Hall of Fame

The gunman confronted the victim, fired fire, and killed him, according to investigators. The suspect and victim, according to authorities, did not know each other.

The fire department announced the arrest on social media, stating that the suspect was also responsible for firing at Oakland Fire Department employees and posting a photo of the car in which the employees were shot.