A Texas toddler is being hailed as a hero after alerting his parents to the fact that their house was on fire only moments before it was devoured by the flames.

Nathan and Kayla Dahl had just enough time to flee their home in small Alvord with their five children, including attentive toddler Brandon, 2, who awoke his parents with the words “Momma, hot! Momma, hot!” she told WFAA 8 News in Dallas of the Jan. 15 fire.

Also read: Pregnant man emoji on Apple update angers some, lauded by others

“He saved our entire family,” Kayla Dahl said. “I mean, he is our little mini hero.”

Because his parents had lost their sense of smell while fighting COVID-19, they were unaware that smoke was filling the house because none of the smoke detectors in the house went off.

“We had brand new, less than a year old, smoke alarms in our house,” Nathan Dahl said. “None of them went off.”

“We had seconds,” he continued. “It’s nothing short of a miracle.”

Fortunately, the family had anticipated the worst.

Also read: Whatsapp CEO Will Cathcart hints at an app for iPad

Nathan Dahl, an Alvord Fire Department volunteer, taught his family how to respond in the event of a fire. “We’ve had a plan. This is how everything’s going to go.”

Brandon was sleeping in the living area when the fire started, which officials believe was started by a gas heater. Around 4:30 am, the small child wandered away from the flames and into his parents’ bedroom, coughing as he woke his mother.

“I just saw the flames coming out of our living room and into our bedroom,” Kayla Dahl said.

Also read: Actor Bette Midler caught in spat with Gov. Jim Justice over dog’s ‘ass’

“She’s screaming, ‘Fire! Fire! Fire!’” Nathan Dahl said. “My initial thought was, ‘OK, I’m going to get up and I’m going to get to work.’”

Except for some singed hairs on Brandon’s head, the family escaped without burns or smoke damage, according to the parents.

Alvord is roughly an hour northwest of Dallas and has a population of 1,300 people.