Two suspects were detained by police after they claimed they were part of a Memorial Day mass shooting on the Hollywood Broadwalk; three other suspects were still being sought.
Morgan Deslouches and Keshawn Paul Stewart, the two individuals involved in the altercation that resulted in the shooting, have been detained on firearms-related offences, according to the police. The two men, who are both 18 years old, each reside in Hollywood or Dania Beach.
They claimed that five handguns had been found, two of which had been reported stolen—one in Texas and one in the Miami region. The other three suspects are believed to be the gunmen.
Hollywood police sought the public’s help in identifying the gunmen, who ran from the scene during the chaos of hundreds of people fleeing for their lives and diving for cover as shots hit bystanders.
Police and witnesses said the shooting began as a group of people fought in front of a busy stretch of shops on the Hollywood Oceanfront Broadwalk about 7 p.m. Monday.
The nine patients, according to the authorities, were brought to Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital as well as Memorial Regional Hospital. Four of the casualties were kids, ranging in age from one to seventeen. The other five were between the ages of 25 and 65.
Hollywood Mayor Josh Levy said that he was “deeply saddened and angered” by the shooting. Dozens of officers are assigned to the beach on busy holiday weekends and that meant there was an immediate response and multiple people were detained, Levy said in a statement.
“People come to enjoy a holiday weekend on the beach with their families and to have people in complete reckless disregard of the safety of the public and to have an altercation with guns in a public setting with thousands of people around them is beyond reckless,” he said.