Russia continued its strikes on Kyiv on Monday, which have now led to 80% of the city without water, according to the city’s mayor, Vitali Klitschko. The strikes reportedly damaged a power facility near the Ukrainian capital, leading to around 350,000 homes in the city sans electricity.

Klitschko, who explained the situation via his Telegram channel, also asked Kyiv’s residents to stock up on water “from the nearest pumps and points of sale”.

Also Read| Vladimir Putin imposes martial law in 4 Ukrainian regions

Denys Shmyhal, Prime Minister of Ukraine, also took to Telegram to say that hydroelectric dams as well as power plants were targetted by Russians on Monday, leading to “hundreds of localities in seven regions of Ukraine” being deprived of electricity.

Shmyal said, “Russian terrorists have again massively attacked Ukraine. Their targets are not military installations, but essential civilian infrastructure”.

He went on to claim that out of the 50 rockets that were launched by Russia, 44 were shot down by Ukrainian forces. 

The Moldova government has said that debris from some of the destroyed rockets had fallen into the country. However, no loss of life has been reported.

Also Read| United States, allies clash with Russia over investigation into drones in Ukraine

Moldova’s Foreign Minister, Nicu Popescu, said in a post on Twitter, “The Russian strike targeted a Ukrainian dam on the Nistru river, which runs first through Ukraine and then through Moldova”. He further added, “Attacks on water infrastructure and ensuing stress on the river could put the entire region in danger of floods.”

Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24, 2022, and till date there has been no signal from the Vladimir Putin government about when the attacks might cease. 

Also Read| Who is Silvio Berlusconi, Vladimir Putin’s 1st among 5 real friends?

Russia had earlier agreed to allow grain shipments to leave Ukraine for other countries, but now seems to have gone back on their word. The deal for them to give food grains a pass was brokered by the United Nations and Turkey.