The 2021 Ballon d’Or ceremony, football’s grandest award night that honours players for their supreme performances throughout the calendar year, kicked off late on Monday at Theatre du Chatelet, Paris.
Here is the full list of award winners:
1. Pedri wins the Kopa Trophy 2021, for the best player under the age of 21 on the planet.
Since his debut on 27 September 2020 against Villarreal, the young Barcelona midfielder made 73 appearances last season, the highest in the top five European leagues.
Pedri, 19, was named in the Best XI of the European Championship after helping Spain to the semi-finals. He also won silver at the Tokyo Olympics.
2. Robert Lewandowski wins the Striker of the Year
Bayern Munich and Poland talisman Robert Lewandowski received the first Striker of the Year award at the Ballon d’Or ceremony.
The new award was announced just before the shortlist ranking started to be revealed, with Club of the Year also set to be handed out for the first time.
Lewandowski bagged a record-breaking 41 goals in just 29 Bundesliga games last season to eclipse the long-standing mark set by the late Gerd Muller.
3. Alexia Putellas wins Ballon d’Or Feminin, the award for the best female footballer
Barcelona Femeni skipper Alexia Putellas was part of the incredible team that swept everything before them last season, winning the treble — Champions League, the league and the Copa de la Reina.
4. Gianluigi Donnarumma wins Yachine Trophy, for the best goalkeeper of the year
5. Chelsea win the Club of the Year award
After winning the UEFA Champions League last season, Chelsea have deservedly been awarded the club of the year award.
6. Lionel Messi wins Ballon d’Or 2021, for the best men’s player of the year.