Draupadi Murmu: 10 things to know about BJP's presidential candidate
- Draupadi Murmu has been named the BJP's candidate for India's 2022 presidential elections
- She was the former governor of Jharkhand
- Here are some key things to note about her:
In a late Tuesday media briefing, party chief JP Nadda stated, "For the first time, preference has been given to a woman tribal candidate. We announce Draupadi Murmu as NDA's candidate for the upcoming Presidential elections. "
Here are some key things to note about her:
1. Murmu, if elected, will be India's first tribal President and the country's second female President.
2. Murmu, who is from Odisha's Mayurbhanj district, began her career as a teacher before pursuing state politics.
3. She was elected as a BJP MLA from Rairangpur in Mayurbhanj twice (2000 and 2009).
4. Murmu was first mentioned as a possible candidate five years ago, when President Pranab Mukherjee was preparing to leave Rashtrapati Bhavan.
5. She held the Commerce and Transport portfolios under the BJP-BJD coalition government that came to power in 2000, and later the Fisheries and Animal Husbandry posts.
6. She won in 2009 despite the fact that the BJP was outmatched by the then-estranged BJD.
7. Murmu was ushered in as Jharkhand's first female governor in 2015.
8. Murmu's personal life has been filled with tragedy, as she has lost both her husband Shyam Charan Murmu and two kids.
9. Murmu served as a councillor in the Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat after winning elections in 1997, and as vice-president of the BJP's Scheduled Tribes Morcha before becoming an MLA.
10. Her likely election as President, with the NDA dominating 48 percent of the vote, will be a significant boost to the BJP's tribal effort.
Also read: How India elects its President
Arif Khan was reportedly being considered as the BJP's other probable presidential nominee. Khan was rumoured to be explored as the presidential nominee in order to gain Muslim support.