12 hours ago.Columbus, OH, USA
A crowd gathers next to the spot where George Floyd was murdered at George Floyd Square after a guilty verdict was announced at the trial of Derek Chauvin. (AP/PTI Photo)
- The police killing of another African American cast a shadow over prospects for change
- Authorities in Ohio released body camera footage of an officer fatally shooting a 16-year-old Black girl, Ma'Khia Bryant
- Police in Ohio's largest city urged against a rush to judgment in the case
14 hours ago.Minneapolis, MN, USA
The George Floyd Square is situated in Minneapolis. (Photo Credit: AFP)
- The location has been covered with flowers, candles and stuffed toys
- People have been coming to pay their respects despite in severe cold
- People gathered at the very location of the murder while the jury announced its decision
The killing of George Floyd triggered mass protests
- Derek Chauvin was pronounced guilty on all three charges in George Floyd's murder
- Barack Obama said, "A jury in Minneapolis did the right thing"
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said this "verdict is not a substitute for policy change"
1 day ago.Washington D.C., DC, USA
President Joe Biden stated his remarks in a nationally televised briefing. (Photo Credit: AP/PTI)
- Joe Biden tagged "systemic racism" as a "stain on our nation's soul"
- Biden said the delivery of such a verdict "can be a moment of significant change"
- Derek Chauvin was convicted on all three charges in the George Floyd murder
A large crowd unified outside the court, waiting for the verdict with their fingers crossed. (Photo Credit: AFP Photo)
- Derek Chauvin has been found guilty on all three charges in the murder of George Floyd
- Chauvin's bail was revoked and he was taken into custody
- "Eight weeks from now we will have sentencing," Judge Peter Cahill said
1 day ago.Minnesota City, MN, USA
Protesters march across the Brooklyn Bridge over the death of George Floyd. (Photo credit: AFP)
- Joe Biden on Tuesday called for the "right" verdict in the racially charged trial
- The jury is however currently sequestered
- Earlier, Biden had spoken with the Floyd family by telephone
The death of George Floyd had triggered mass protests in the US. (Photo Credit: Unsplash)
- Chauvin is charged with murder and manslaughter for Floyd's May 25, 2020 death
- The state's attorney urged jurors to "believe your eyes"
- "He did not purposefully use unlawful force," defence attorney said
The death of George Floyd gave rise to global protests against racial inequality. (Photo Credits: Representational Image/Unsplash)
- The jury retired on Monday to begin its deliberations in the closely watched case
- Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill issued final instructions to the jury
- Prosecuting attorney Steve Schleicher also urged jurors on Monday to convict Chauvin
The killing of George Floyd triggered mass protests across the globe. (Photo Credit: AFP)
- Eric Nelson asked the bench to "review the entirety of the evidence"
- He said the prosecutors had failed to prove their case
- Nelson argued that Floyd's drug use and heart condition did play a part in his death
4 days ago.Minneapolis, MN, USA
Congress member Maxine Waters joins the protests for Daunte Wright for 7th consecutive day (Photo Credits: AP/PTI Photo)