A car accident early on Sunday morning claimed the lives of two Georgia Bulldogs football club members – a player and a staff member – and injured two more.

This happened just hours after the team had celebrated back-to-back national championship victories.

Devin Willock, a 20-year-old offensive lineman, and Chandler LeCroy, a 24-year-old member of the recruiting staff, were the victims of the car accident in Athens, Georgia, according to the UGA Athletic Association. Two further injured people, according to the group, are in stable condition. 

Also Read| Georgia Bulldogs’ player Devin Willock, staff member Chandler LeCroy die in car crash in Athens

Who was Devin Willock?

Devin Willock was an American football player born in 2002 in Paramus, New Jersey. He was raised in New Milford.

Willock, a redshirt sophomore, appeared in all 15 games for the Dawgs this season, including the national championship game, and started against Tennessee and Kentucky.

Also Read| Who is Gerard Pique’s mother, Montserrat Bernabeu? Shakira’s witch doll overlooks ex-mother-in-law’s house

ESPN ranked Willock as the No. 39 guard in the country and the No. 17 prospect from his home state of New Jersey.

Georgia celebrated its 65-7 victory over TCU in the national championship game with a parade through town and a ceremony at Sanford Stadium on January 14, 2023, Willock was an important member of the team that recently won the national championship. 

Also Read| Los Angeles Chargers’ Joey Bosa smashes helmet on sideline vs Jacksonville Jaguars, not ejected: Watch

Willock died on January 15, 2023 in a car accident in Athens, Georgia along with recruiting staffer Chandler LeCroy.  Willock was pronounced dead at the scene whereas LeCroy dies of head injuries in the hospital.

“The entire Georgia family is devastated by the tragic loss of football student-athlete Devin Willock and football staff member Chandler LeCroy. Two other members of the football program were injured in the accident. They are both in stable condition, and we will continue to monitor their status with medical personnel,” UGA Athletic Association put out a statement during the death.