“Many countries have agreed that they will not allow representatives from Russia to compete. There are also visa issues as well. When it comes to individuals, that is more complex,” Huddleston said at a UK Parliament select committee meeting when asked about Medvedev competing at Wimbledon, according to the New York Post.
“Absolutely nobody flying the flag for Russia should be allowed or enabled. We need some potential assurance that they are not supporters of Putin and we are considering what requirements we may need to try and get some assurances along those lines.”
Like all players from Russia and Belarus, Medvedev is no longer able to compete under his own flag.
Medvedev, 26, was asked about the war earlier this month and he replied, “My message is always the same — I want peace in all of the world.”
Meanwhile, Ukrainian former tennis player Alexandr Dolgopolov said Wednesday that the tennis authorities are being “too passive” and should ban players from Russia.
Dolgopolov told BBC Sport that the decision to allow Russian players, such as Medvedev, to continue playing as neutrals and removing their flag “is not changing anything”.
“Letting them play just by saying a few words that they are against war, I don’t believe this is enough,” he said.
Earlier this week, Ukrainian player Marta Kostyuk slammed the tennis bodies for the measures taken against Russian players, which she deemed was not enough.
The 19-year-old also criticized Russian players – particularly the then World No 1 Medvedev – who not only refrained from condoning the war, but also didn’t condemn the invasion.
“You cannot be neutral in this. These ‘No war’ statements they hurt me because they have no substance,” she added.
Wimbledon will begin on June 27 and run through July 10 this year.
On Monday, Medvedev lost his world number one ranking after a stunning 4-6 6-3 6-1 loss to Gael Monfils in the third round of Indian Wells. Twenty-times Grand Slam winner Novak Djokovic will return to the top of the world rankings.