The highly anticipated Ballon d’Or awards ceremony takes place tonight at the Théâtre du Chatelet in Paris, where the most exceptional footballer of the 2022/23 season will be recognized with football’s most coveted medal.
Here’s the list of all the winners as of now:
- Lionel Messi wins his eighth Ballon d’Or
- Jude Bellingham wins the Kopa Trophy
- Vinicius Jr succeeds Sadio Mane as winner of the Socrates award
- Barcelona win the Club of the Year award for FCB Femeni’s triumphs in 22/23
- Emi Martinez wins Yashin Trophy for best goalkeeper
- Erling Haaland wins Gerd Muller award for most goals
- Man City win Club of the Year for men’s game after treble triumph
- Aitana Bonmati wins Ballon d’Or Feminin 2023
Lionel Messi wins the Ballon d’Or in 2023, extending his amazing career. Since its inception in 1956, the award has been presented yearly to the outstanding performer from the top five European leagues. Karim Benzema of Real Madrid won the award in 2022. Cristiano Ronaldo has five Ballon d’Or trophies, while Lionel Messi has an unrivaled eight.
He faced tight competition from Erling Haaland in 2023. Messi, regarded as one of the best footballers of all time, will round out his long European career by lifting the FIFA World Cup trophy in Qatar in December 2022. Meanwhile, Haaland demonstrated his talent by scoring 52 goals in all competitions, notably contributing to Manchester City’s historic treble. Notably, Messi’s regular nemesis, Cristiano Ronaldo, did not reach the final list of prize finalists.
The former Paris Saint-Germain and Inter Miami striker led Argentina to World Cup success in Qatar last December, ending a 36-year drought for the South American nation. Messi has three more Ballon d’Ors than any other player at the age of 36. He also served as captain when Argentina won the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, his first tournament victory and the conclusion of La Albiceleste’s 36-year wait.