Arsenal were handed a controversial penalty in the first half of the Premier League clash against Manchester United on Wednesday. Bukayo Saka scored to take the game to 1-1.

City came back strong in the second half to reclaim their lead with a Jack Grealish goal in the 72nd minute. However, the game referee Anthony Taylor was trolled for handing the penalty and fouling Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson.

Also Read | Erling Haaland scores and does the Marcus Rashford celebration as Manchester City dominate Arsenal at Emirates: Watch

“Fuck the Premier League, fuck Anthony Taylor, long live Jack Grealish,” a Twitter user said.

“Anthony Taylor trying to disallow it any way he can. VARsenal cheats,” another one added.

Some Arsenal fans also accused the ref, who is from Manchester, of allegedly helping Pep Guardiola and co.

Anthony Taylor is a 1978-born English professional football referee from Wythenshawe, Manchester. In 2010, he was named to the list of Select Group Referees who officiate primarily in the Premier League. Later in 2013, he became a listed referee for FIFA allowing him to referee European and international matches. 

Also Read | Why was Raquel Welch called a sex symbol? Actor’s net worth, One Million Years BC bikini poster, Playboy career, controversies explored

In 2015, he headed the Football League Cup final at Wembley Stadium when Chelsea defeated Tottenham Hotspur 2–0. Taylor returned to Wembley later in 2015 to officiate the Community Shield as Arsenal beat Chelsea 1–0. He was the referee in the 2017 and 2020 FA Cup finals, both between Chelsea and Arsenal; Arsenal won on both occasions 2–1. Upon the selection, he became the first man to referee a second FA Cup final since Arthur Kingscott in 1901.

Taylor started his referee career in the Northern Premier League in 2002, heading to officiate in the Conference North in 2004. 

Also Read | Who is Burna Boy? All about rapper’s ex-girlfriend Stefflon Don, rumored partner Delicia Cordon, net worth, songs, ethnicity and more

He was chosen to the Football League referees’ list at the start of the 2006–07 season and his first appointment was a 0–0 draw between Wrexham and Peterborough United in a League Two match in August 2006. 

In November 2006 he refereed an England under-19s international friendly match against Switzerland under-19s at Gresty Road, the home of Crewe Alexandra; England won 3–2.