Tragedy struck Minneapolis’ Dinkytown neighborhood on Sunday morning as two men lost their lives in a fatal shooting, with a third individual hospitalized due to gunshot wounds. The incident unfolded at the Royal Cigar and Tobacco shop located on the 400 block of 14th Street Southeast at around 2:15 a.m., according to the Minneapolis Police Department.

Preliminary reports suggest that the violence erupted from an altercation between two groups of customers within the store, eventually escalating into gunfire. Sgt. Garrett Parten of the Minneapolis Police Department shared that one of the three individuals injured was an employee present during the altercation and was subsequently transported to Hennepin County Medical Center.

Also Read: Chicago shooting: One killed in gunshot wounds at Oakbrook Terrace hotel

The shooting incident has left the community in shock and fear. Katherine Strowig, a University of Minnesota sophomore residing near the tobacco shop, expressed the commonality of such incidents, noting the desensitization to the tragedy. The victims, including the deceased and the injured employee, were confirmed not to be students at the University of Minnesota.

The aftermath of the shooting has raised concerns about its potential impact on the community and the college experience, with Strowig expressing worry about the negative influence on prospective students. Despite the crime scene tape and police presence, the affected block of businesses maintained its regular bustling atmosphere, highlighting the resilience of the community.

Local businesses, including Mochi Dough situated next door to the Royal Cigar and Tobacco shop, were affected by the incident. Karen Micheel, an employee at Mochi Dough, conveyed her surprise at such violence occurring in the area, expressing a sense of unsettlement.

Also Read: Who was Kevin McCool? British soldier shot dead in Kenya

Dinkytown has, unfortunately, been no stranger to crime, as mentioned by Strowig, who admitted feeling scared to navigate the area alone. Minneapolis Police have indicated that the injured store employee is expected to survive. As of now, no arrests have been made in connection with the shooting, leaving the community awaiting further developments and grappling with the aftermath of this tragic event.