Authorities said a shooter killed a teenage girl and an adult woman at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School in St. Louis, Missouri, on Monday morning.

The St. Louis Public School District and St. Louis police both claim that the shooter “was quickly stopped by police,” that there was a firefight, and that the suspect also died.

According to authorities, the shooter seemed to be around 20 years old. He was apprehended and taken into custody within the school.

Several others were taken to the hospital and the injuries ranged from gunshot wounds to cardiac arrest.

After nine in the morning, a shooting was reported at Arsenal Street and South Kingshighway.

Ninth-grader at the school, Nylah Jones claimed she was in math class when the shooter opened fire into the room from the hallway but was unable to enter the room. She claimed that when the shooter pounded on the door, students gathered in the room’s corner and made an effort not to move.

Also read: St. Louis high school shooting: Three dead, including gunman, police say

Nylah claimed that when they originally went into lockdown, she didn’t believe the situation to be serious.

Senior at CVPA at the age of 18, Ryane Owens, said students “thought it was a drill at first. Then we heard noises.”

“Once you heard the boom, all the chuckling and laughing in the back of the room stopped,” according to teacher Michael De Filippo.

The principal announced the shooter’s presence over the loudspeaker at roughly 9 am, according to math instructor David Williams. Williams heard several gunshots outside his classroom, and the door’s window was shot out. Then he overheard a man remark, “You are all going to (expletive) die.” 

Also read: Where is Central Visual and Performing Arts High School?

Another CVPA student, Taniya Gholston, 16, claimed that the shooter’s gun eventually jammed and that she was unable to identify him. He allegedly made a comment about being “tired of this damn school” in her hearing.

Police, ambulances, and a SWAT van had closed off the whole area by 9:30 am. With their hands raised, students and staff filed out of the building and along Hereford Street toward the Schnucks on Arsenal, where a large group of evacuees had assembled.

Parents and children were hugging one other as hundreds of people gathered in the Schnucks parking lot. Up until 1992, Southwest High School served as CVPA. Metal detectors are present at the building’s major entrances, at least.

Several parents praised the police for how they handled the situation. At the Gateway STEM High School, 5101 McRee Avenue, parents can pick up evacuated children.