Former President Donald Trump reached a settlement Wednesday with his security guards who were part of an assault outside Trump Tower in 2015.
The details of the settlement were not revealed by lawyers on both side.
An attorney for the protesters, Benjamin Dictor, called it “an incredible day for our clients, who are lifelong activists in the community … who stood up to defend the right to speech on the public sidewalk and have litigated for seven years.”
Also Read | Japan urges residents to stay indoors as North Korea fires multiple ballistic missiles
“And today, the matter was resolved on terms that they are very, very happy with,” he said.
In a joint statement, Trump’s attorney, Alina Habba, the parties agreed “that the plaintiffs in the action, and all people, have a right to engage in peaceful protest on public sidewalks,” the statement said.
Habba said in a separate statement: “Although we were eager to proceed to trial to demonstrate the frivolousness of this case, the parties were ultimately able to come to an amicable resolution. We are very pleased with this outcome and are happy to finally put this matter to rest once and for all.”
The lawsuit was filed after a September 2015 incident in which a group protesting Trump’s comments about Mexican immigrants assaulted by security guards on the sidewalk outside Trump’s Fifth Avenue building.
The suit stated that Trump’s head of security punched one of the protesters in the head. The protesters sued Trump, his company, his campaign and the guards. The lawsuit, they claimed that they had disrupted their “peaceful and lawful assembly.”
In a February 2016 affidavit, Trump said he shouldn’t have to be deposed.
Also Read | Kamala Harris wants Iran ousted from UN women’s rights body
“Given the breadth and scope of the business, I have delegated full responsibility and authority for the hiring and supervision of all security personnel and related security operations to Matthew Calamari,” the Trump Organization’s executive vice president and chief operating officer, Trump said.
In October last year, Trump sat for a videotaped deposition. In the deposition, the former president said he “didn’t know about” the altercation between the protesters and his then-bodyguard Keith Schiller.
Trump defended Schiller’s actions, according to the transcript made public by NBC News.
“He did nothing wrong. He went out — I didn’t know about it. But he went out, he heard there was a disturbance, and he went out. And he took a 50 cent sign down that was racist. He sees people dressed as Ku Klux Klansmen or whatever. People were probably complaining,” Trump said.