A 19-year-old Quebec man, Yacine Mehennaoui, faces charges, including criminal negligence causing death, after a tragic incident at a home north of Montreal.

Who is Yacine Mehennaoui?

Yacine Mehennaoui, 19, of Bois-des-Filion, Quebec, has found himself in the focus of a criminal investigation following the horrific killing of a small kid. The incident occurred on Monday evening, triggering law authorities to respond quickly.

Also read | Who are Kayla Larmond and Azali Ward? Women caught tearing down posters of kidnapped Israeli children by Hamas

Mehennaoui has been charged with criminal negligence causing death, illegal or restricted firearm ownership, and obstructing justice. The obstruction charge stems from allegations that he sought to destroy case evidence.

The child, described as under the age of five, was discovered “seriously injured” at a property on 34th Avenue, prompting a 911 call for help at 5:30 p.m. Despite first responders’ attempts, the kid was tragically pronounced dead at the site.

The exact cause of death is still unknown while investigators and forensic technicians at both the local and provincial levels work tirelessly to investigate the circumstances surrounding the child’s death. The community is in shock and sadness as a result of this catastrophe, with neighbors erecting a temporary memorial outside the home and placing toys and teddy bears in memory.

Two more people have been arrested in connection with the child’s death as part of the ongoing investigation. The prosecutor, however, stated that it is too early to assess their fate because the police are still actively investigating the matter.

Also read | Who is identified as the suspect in the killing of Jewish man Paul Kessler?

The case has now been passed to provincial police, employing a variety of law enforcement organizations and resources, including police divers who scoured the Mille-Îles River for evidence related to the terrible event.

Yacine Mehennaoui, who appeared in court via video at the Laval courthouse, is due back in court on Thursday. Meanwhile, the entire neighborhood is waiting for more information about this terrible incident.