Joint Base Andrews has reportedly been put on lockdown due to an “active shooter situation” on Sunday, soon after Vice President Kamala Harris and Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff left the site. Joint Base Andrews is often used by key government members while traveling.

At least two individuals, one of whom was armed, entered the facility on Sunday. A spokesperson later announced that one of them had been taken into custody while another one is being searched for as of 10 PM local time.

Also Read: Tests find US president’s new helicopter unreliable in case of emergency

No gunshots or injuries have been reported so far, according to reports from Washington Post citing officials from the joint base.

Scott Detrow, who is National Public Radio’s White House Correspondent, said that the base had been put under lockdown. Detrow added in a social media post that Vice President Harris and Second Gentleman Emhoff had safely left the site.

In addition to VP Harris and Second Gentleman Emhoff, several members of the cabinet were also previously present on the base. These included Education Secretary Miguel Cardona, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Michael Regan, Housing Secretary Marcia L. Fudge and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.

An official from the White House confirmed around 9:40 PM that all of them had left the base safely. 

How did the incident unfold?

The two individuals drove up to Joint Base Andres and went through the security checkpoint around 9 PM. The unidentified intruders did not listen to the orders given by security officials.

The vehicle was eventually stopped after barriers were deployed on Sunday, however, the intruders fled.

Also Read: ‘Unusual noise’: Kamala Harris’s plane force lands minutes after take off

According to reports from Washington Post citing the statement, the main entrance of the joint base remains closed as officials search for the second intruder.

Joint Base Andrews, located a few miles from Washington DC, has not witnessed many security breaches so far.