Late goals from Jamie Vardy and Patson Daka completed a rousing comeback for Leicester City to end Manchester United‘s British record unbeaten run of 29 away league games on Saturday. 

Manchester United had not lost on the road since a 2-0 reverse at Anfield against Liverpool in January 2020, beginning their streak with a 2-0 win at Chelsea next month.

But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side looked set to steal a point when Marcus Rashford marked his return from a shoulder surgery with a goal to draw United level at 2-2 with eight minutes remaining.

However, the Foxes rallied back with two late goals to deal a heavy blow to United’s title hopes as well as lift spirits after an indifferent start to the season. 

Brendan Rodger’s side were the much better team from the start, but United took an early lead with youngster Mason Greenwood firing a spectacular long-range effort past goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel into the top-rigth corner in the 19th minute. 

Also Read | PL: Silva, de Bruyne score in City’s 2-0 win over Burnley

The hosts hit back 12 minutes later, with Youri Tielemans scoring after Keilechi Iheanacho stole the ball from Harry Maguire and chipped a passed into the far post for the Belgian midfielder to score. 

Tielemans was the driving force behind Leicester’s midfield domination, with James Maddison also rediscovering his touch of creativity as Leicester kept creating chances and threatened to find the go-ahead goal. 

And the Foxes did edge ahead in the second half, in which they ran the Red Devils ragged. A goalline scramble following a corner saw Daka firing on goal, with David de Gea equal to the Zambian’s effort, but the rebound found its way to Caglar Soyuncu, who fired home from close range to give Leicester the lead in the 78th minute. 

Also Read | PL: Firmino bags hattrick as Liverpool’s ‘Fab 3’ sink Watford on Ranieri debut

A flurry of late goals followed after a long ball from Victor Lindelof put Marcus Rashford clear through on goal, with the Englishman scoring in the 82nd minute of his comeback game. 

Barely a minute later, Ayoze Perez’s cutback from the left found Vardy unmarked in the box, who fired into the top right corner to steal the lead. The points were confirmed for Leicester when Patson Daka was on hand to tap-in a freekick from Tielemans at the far post.