A bridge collapse in Gujarat’s Morbi district on Sunday afternoon killed at least 60 and injured several. Reports say that many are still trapped under the collapsed bridge and the death toll could rise in the final count.
The cause of the collapse is as yet unknown. Gujarat government has announced the formation of a special investigation team (SIT) to probe the incident. One IAS office from the municipality level, one chief engineer to check quality control, a structural engineer, the secretary of road and building and the IG of CID are part of the five-member team.
Also read: Gujarat: Bridge collapse in Morbi leaves at least 40 dead
Even as the actual cause of the incident is being investigated, eyewitness accounts say that the most likely reason for its collapse is heavy traffic. Earlier today, a Twitter user posted a video of the bridge shot in the afternoon that shows hundreds of people atop it.
Watch the video here.
PM Modi has announced a compensation of Rs. 2 lakhs each for the kin of those deceased in the tragedy. Gujarat CM Bhupesh Patel has also said that the state government will give Rs. 4 lakh each to the deceased’s family.
Also read: Gujarat bridge collapse: PM Modi, Gujarat government announce compensation for kin of deceased
PM Modi is on a three-day visit to the state ahead of the upcoming state elections in December 2022. The PMO office tweeted that PM Modi is in close contact with the state CM to coordinate the rescue operations. India Today reported that PM Modi has asked the state administration to speed up the rescue process.
“The government takes responsibility for this tragedy. The PM has spoken to the Chief Minister. All top officials are on ground. The renovation happened last week. We are also shocked. We are looking into the matter”, Gujarat minister Brijesh Merja said in an interview with NDTV.