Isudan Gadhvi, a television journalist-turned-politician, is Aam Aadmi Party‘s chief ministerial candidate for the Gujarat Assembly elections. On Friday, November 4, AAP leader and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal made the announcement.
Also Read| Isudan Gadhvi is Aam Aadmi Party’s CM face in Gujarat
Here are 7 things you should know about Isudan Gadhvi:
1) Isudan Gadhvi, age 40, is a former media professional He received up to 73% of the vote in a poll conducted by the party. He served as the host of the popular news programme Mahamanthan on VTV Gujarati.
2) Gadhvi holds a Master of Journalism and Mass Communication degree from Gujarat Vidyapeeth. He received his diploma in 2005.
3) Isudan Gadhvi began his career as a journalist by working for a popular show named ‘Yojana’ on India’s state-run channel Doordarshan. He later became an on-field journalist for ETV Gujarati.
Also Read | Who is Manoj Sorathiya, Arvind Kejriwal’s man in Gujarat?
4) Gadhvi is credited with revealing the deforestation scam in Gujarat’s talukas of Dang and Kaparada. This piece solidified Isudan Gadhvi’s reputation as a courageous journalist.
5) Gadhvi comes from a farming family in the Pipaliya village in the Dwarka district and is a member of the other backward castes, which make up 48% of the state’s population.
6) He joined VTV Gujarati in 2015 as the media’s youngest channel chief. Gujarat’s rural areas, especially among farmers, were big fans of his show.
Also Read | Gujarat elections 2022: AAP optimistic, to announce CM candidate soon
7) Arvind Kejriwal, who had travelled to Ahmedabad to open the AAP’s state office, assisted Isudan Gadhvi in joining the party in June 2021. The chief minister of Delhi characterised Mr. Gadhvi’s decision to join the AAP as a “great sacrifice of a bright career to clean up the mess made in Gujarat by the ruling party and the Congress.”