The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday released an official statement, announcing the exit of seven-time NFL Pro Bowler Antonio Brown. The Wide Receiver dramatically walked off the field mid-game against the New York Jets on Sunday. 

The team’s statement came a day after Brown through his attorney said that the Bucs knew he was dealing with an ankle injury when he left the field. 

Brown alleged that he was “fired on the sideline for having a painful injury” and said he “relented to pressure directly from my coach to play injured.”

Also read: NFL teams give female fans their own clubs

Brown removed his jersey, shoulder pads, undershirt and gloves, then left the field after a sideline exchange with coach Bruce Arians, who said afterward that the player was no longer part of the team.

“While Antonio did receive treatment on his ankle and was listed on the injury report the week leading up to last Sunday’s game, he was cleared to play by our medical team prior to the start of the game and at no point during the game did he indicate to our medical personnel that he could not play,” the Bucs said in a prepared statement.

Also read: NFL: Cleveland Browns’ Mayfield to undergo surgery, sit out season finale

“We have attempted, multiple times throughout this week, to schedule an evaluation by an outside orthopedic specialist, yet Antonio has not complied,” the statement added. “Maintaining the health and wellness of our players is of the utmost importance to our organization.”

Brown, who has a long history of troubled behavior on and off the field, including being accused by two women of sexual assault — one claimed he raped her — said he walked off — tossing some of his gear into the stands and waving to fans at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., after he was cut for refusing to re-enter the game because of his ankle.

Arians said Monday that Brown did not claim he was injured when he refused to continue playing against the Jets. The coach has declined to discuss specifics of the sideline conversation and insisted he had “no clue” why Brown reacted the way he did.

Despite saying after the game that Brown was no longer a part of the defending Super Bowl champions, the 33-year-old receiver had remained on the roster. Wednesday’s injury report noted Brown’s absence from practice was “not injury related — personal.”

With inputs from the Associated Press